Savoury Banana Muffins
I was looking to bake something with my little daughter and having recently moved back to my home country found myself with no baking supplies. We wandered down to a local grocery store and picked up what I generally think of to be the basics, and then decide what to make. I wanted to make something that my daughter would like and that I wouldn’t feel too bad about her eating. It turned out very delicious! I would recommend that you try these easy to make savoury muffins.
With the ingredients in my apartment here is what I came up with:
1 ½ cups all-purpose whole grain flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon white chia seeds
1 tablespoon oat bran (hot cereal grind)
2 or 3 mashed bananas
¾ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Prepare your muffin pan or silicon cups appropriately to keep the muffins from sticking. Lightly oiling the pan/silicon cups can help make it easier to remove the muffins and clean up afterwards.
- In a bowl, sift together the whole grain flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, white chia seeds and oat bran.
- In another bowl (or a mixer) combine the bananas, brown sugar, egg and melted butter.
- Gradually mix the sifted dry ingredients in keeping the texture as smooth as possible until all ingredients are combined.
- Spoon the mix into muffin cups until the mix is close to level with the top of the cups.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 12-15 minutes for standard muffin cups. you can check to see if they are done using a toothpick or by lightly pressing on the top of a muffin and seeing is it quickly springs back to its shape.
- Cool a bit and enjoy!